Forums · Bringing the Ads back to Messenger

ctaetcsh

0 +0

Sep 4 '20

Recently on the Escargot Discord, me and a handful of other people have been discussing ideas for what to put in the, essentially whitespace on every Escargot client. There's no intention to sell ad space on Escargot (not wanting to attract the guise of M$), but we did come up with some ideas for announcements or places where the community could use the space.

This threads objective is to brainstorm ideas for designs of the ads and to create concepts as a proof of concept. Walkingphasers has confirmed that Escargot can send Ads, but this is very low on the priority list for Escargot stuff that needs done. Regardless, when this is pursued, I would like to have created a base for this, and this thread is to be it's immortal home.

Check out some of the stuff we have been working on it #escargot-fan-creations in the Escargot Discord. You can also DM me at ctaetcsh#8411 if you have some ideas or concepts.

:)

I retrived some of the concepts I posted in #escargot-fan-creations, some were liked more then others when I posted them. Regardless, here you go:

Also, there is a way to patch these into WLM 8 using Resource Hacker, of which Ill add in another reply.

PS: sd.png is a placeholder I made, unfinished
Rating: 0

ThatXPUser

0 +0

Sep 4 '20

Also, there is a way to patch these into WLM 8 using Resource Hacker, of which Ill add in another reply.

Quite bored, so decided to do it myself :P
Untested on MSN versions, Messenger wayResource Hackermsgsres.dll https://prnt.sc/ubt2s8
;D

ctaetcsh

0 +0

Sep 4 '20

ThatXPUser wrote:

Quite bored, so decided to do it myself :P
I have untested this on any other version other than 8.1

I got it to work on WLM 8.5 editing the mssgres.dll file, worked like a charm!

ThatXPUser

0 +0

Sep 4 '20

[No message]

bobsmith

0 +0

Sep 5 '20

I think bringing back the "click here to win a free ipad" ADs would be hilarious

ThatXPUser

0 +0

Sep 5 '20

bobsmith wrote:

I think bringing back the "click here to win a free ipad" ADs would be hilarious

[ATTACH=full]120950000100080[/ATTACH]

ctaetcsh

0 +0

Sep 5 '20

lmfao thats pure gold

ThatXPUser

0 +0

Sep 5 '20

New findings, you don't need to have the ad in 234x60 for it to show up, WLM stretches it
[ATTACH=full]120950000100020[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]120950000100010[/ATTACH]
I've also set up some templates for the ads
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][ATTACH=full]120950000100040[/ATTACH][/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][ATTACH=full]120950000100030[/ATTACH][/font]

ctaetcsh

0 +0

Sep 5 '20

ThatXPUser wrote:

New findings, you don't need to have the ad in 234x60 for it to show up, WLM stretches it

WLM does stretch it but from my eye it seems to use the same image resizer from MS Paint, so bigger images can look a little crunchy.
As for the templates, I recommend increasing the size by 200% to work, then using a better program to shrink it as it will end up with a better appearance.

ThatXPUser

0 +0

Sep 5 '20

ctaetcsh wrote:

[quote="ThatXPUser"]

WLM does stretch it but from my eye it seems to use the same image resizer from MS Paint, so bigger images can look a little crunchy.
As for the templates, I recommend increasing the size by 200% to work, then using a better program to shrink it as it will end up with a better appearance.
[/quote]

I can't find how would that help, honestly with all of the programs i have here also make shrinking look crunchy or bad, not to mention the small things become one pixel or die

Edit: I just tried it with images and basic shapes, seems to be a good way to do stuff, still wouldn't use it for something more complex

santi13

0 +0

Sep 21 '20

i made a ad inspired by some 2010 ad and using my friend's game logo xD
can anyone try to make it work and send me a screenie? :P

TimJames47

0 +0

Oct 4 '20

Would anyone be opposed to me using any of these for a lil ResEdit rebranding im working on? i plan on sharing once its done,but since i did not create i wanted to ask first

ctaetcsh

0 +0

Oct 4 '20

timjames47 wrote:

Would anyone be opposed to me using any of these for a lil ResEdit rebranding im working on? i plan on sharing once its done,but since i did not create i wanted to ask first

I don't think anyone would really oppose to that, since this is more just brainstorming and collecting ideas.

TimJames47

0 +0

Oct 4 '20

ctaetcsh wrote:

[quote="timjames47"]

I don't think anyone would really oppose to that, since this is more just brainstorming and collecting ideas.
[/quote]

Okay,thanks! Was thinking of using your Thank You For Continuing the conversation one for the about screen