Forums · I can't get MSN Messenger 5 to work

YoshiBoy

0 +0

Oct 29 '20

Now, to explain what the hell is the OS I used, it is a Windows 98 SE virtual machine with a fully working internet connection, that essentially is hardcoded into a special Windows Network bridge. But if I try and log in into MSN Messenger with correct info (I double, nay, triple-checked), I get an error that my login/password is incorrect or Escargot is down.
What do I do? (BTW, yes, I manually patched it, and my password is 8 letters long and has no numbers)
Rating: 0

RebMillenn

0 +0

Oct 29 '20

YoshiBoy wrote:

Now, to explain what the hell is the OS I used, it is a Windows 98 SE virtual machine with a fully working internet connection, that essentially is hardcoded into a special Windows Network bridge. But if I try and log in into MSN Messenger with correct info (I double, nay, triple-checked), I get an error that my login/password is incorrect or Escargot is down.
What do I do? (BTW, yes, I manually patched it, and my password is 8 letters long and has no numbers)

I already told you on the Discord server, but I might as well re-iterate here so others are aware. All secure versions of MSN on Windows 9x (so 5.0 - 7.0) for the time being won't work. This is due to the HTTPS incompatibilities that plague XP and Vista, but in this case there's no real way to get 9x to support later protocols or stronger ciphers. I tried to experiment with remedying that but I haven't been successful so for. For now I suppose 9x users will have to use versions 4.6 and below to use MSN.

YoshiBoy

0 +0

Nov 27 '20

walkingphaser wrote:

[quote="YoshiBoy"]

I already told you on the Discord server, but I might as well re-iterate here so others are aware. All secure versions of MSN on Windows 9x (so 5.0 - 7.0) for the time being won't work. This is due to the HTTPS incompatibilities that plague XP and Vista, but in this case there's no real way to get 9x to support later protocols or stronger ciphers. I tried to experiment with remedying that but I haven't been successful so for. For now I suppose 9x users will have to use versions 4.6 and below to use MSN.
[/quote]

Thanks for at least trying to help then!