Forums · Make Windows Live Messenger 2009 show its tray icon on the taskbar

WinGlass

0 +0

Nov 17 '20

Ever wanted the WLM tray icon on the notification area of the taskbar as it did on previous versions of Messenger, well it's possible! :)

Important note: The icon already shows on the notification area of the taskbar on Windows XP and Vista, but it does not show in newer versions of Windows because it was designed to be like that.

Update 11/26/2020: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger

(If you're on a x86/32-bit machine then head to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger)

NOTE: If your drive letter is different than C:, then replace it with whatever drive letter your Windows installation is on.

So now that you're on the Messenger folder,
right-click on msnmsgr.exe
then click on Properties
then click on the Compatibility tab
and then click on the checkbox that says Run this program in compatibility mode for and then click on the box on the bottom of the checkbox and then find and click on Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
then click the OK
Rating: 0

second2050

0 +0

Nov 19 '20

This workaround is buggy on atleast Windows 10 v2004 (x64) as it introduces a Z-Fighting problem with the taskbar.
Video Example

WinGlass

0 +0

Nov 19 '20

Oh, I only tested this on my computer (which is running Windows 7 Pro, ik it lost support but 10 is not good imo) but I didn't know it was gonna bug out on Windows 10. Maybe it's your computer? idk. Anyways I'll update the post since I saw your linked video.

WinGlass

0 +0

Nov 19 '20

second2050 wrote:

This workaround is buggy on atleast Windows 10 v2004 (x64) as it introduces a Z-Fighting problem with the taskbar.
Video Example

Oh, I only tested this on my computer (which is running Windows 7 Pro, ik it lost support but 10 is not good imo) but I didn't know it was gonna bug out on Windows 10. Maybe it's your computer? idk. Anyways I'll update the post since I saw your linked video.

maxley

0 +0

Nov 26 '20

this works but a bit buggy, i'm using Win 8.1 and found the titlebar and the borders looks weird [like its too small] (using Windows 7 Theme on 8.1)

WinGlass

0 +0

Nov 26 '20

maxley wrote:

this works but a bit buggy, i'm using Win 8.1 and found the titlebar and the borders looks weird [like its too small] (using Windows 7 Theme on 8.1)

nar7

0 +0

Dec 4 '20

Thanks! This helped a lot!

WinGlass

0 +0

Dec 7 '20

nar7 wrote:

Thanks! This helped a lot!

No problem, glad it helped! :)